Monday 21 March 2016

Learning Amazon Web Services (AWS)

I met with a friend the other day and he mentioned Amazon Web Services (AWS) so I thought I’d look into getting up to speed with it.  I have completed many courses on the Azure offering from Microsoft so I thought it would be worth getting an insight into the Amazon offering since, at the date of writing, they are the market leaders in Cloud services.

This is just a brief note to say that I will expand upon this article when I start using the service so it can be seen as a placeholder for the details needed to set up AWS.  I’ve taken the course Cloud Computing With Amazon Web Services with Udemy – they have a wealth of courses online and are always worth a visit.

Here’s the summary for the course – you learn how to:
  • Create and configure virtual servers
  • Configure storage and CDN (Content Delivery Network)
  • Configure monitoring and notification services
  • Configure databases
  • Configure a highly available and scalable environment
  • Configure DNS

Having completed the course in one evening, I can safely say that I have learnt how to set up the AWS service from start to finish and I’m very impressed.  It looks like something I can certainly use in the future knowing my data is securely held there.  I also now know how to host my own website, set up my databases and have a private network with AWS, so I will definitely be setting myself up with the service when I get the time.  

All in all, I know the cloud is the way to go and AWS certainly offers me what I need right now and what I will need in the future.  Now the question is whether I go down this route or the Microsoft Azure route?  But that’s a discussion for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment